“To consult the statistician after an experiment is finished, is often merely to ask him to conduct a post mortem examination. He can perhaps say what the experiment died of.” this quote is from the famous Statistician R.A. Fisher.
Over the last 18 years of consultation working with Masters and Phd students, I came across a lot of “dead experiments”.
Students would say things like: “BUT my Supervisor looked at the questionnaire…” or “My proposal went through the Ethics committee…” this will not help if the constructs in the questionnaire is not valid and reliable or the sample is too small therefore scores from the constructs cannot be calculated and the research hypotheses can not be tested.
I developed a online course Quantitative Research Design for M&D studies: lessons from a Statistician over the past few months from material of the hands-on workshops that I was delivering from 2008 to various Universities.
In this course the critical steps in the quantitative research process will be considered to ensure that the research approach, research design, questionnaire and sampling is correct to be able to do the analyses. In each step an example of a PhD(called ABC study) is used to take the student through the process.
This short 3 minute video explains the online course https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umIUVyLVjE0
For WHO is this course:
Masters and PhD students conducting quantitative research using a questionnaire as research instrument. Lecturers and Supervisors can also learn from this course
WHY this course:
To avoid the following pitfalls:
• Research hypotheses/questions are not aligned to the questionnaire, theoretical framework and analyses
• Scales in the questionnaire are not validated
• Scales in the questionnaire are not reliable
• Too small sample sizes
• Statistical analysis that is not possible
What is the solution? A quantitative research design course for Masters and Doctoral students as well as Supervisors. This online course is developed out of material that I used from 2008 to present workshops to various Universities mostly in South Africa. This material comes from more than 18 years of consultation experience as a Statistician working with, Masters and Doctoral students as well as Lecturers working with articles.
In this course the critical steps in the quantitative research process will be considered to ensure that the research approach, research design, questionnaire and sampling is correct to be able to do the analyses.
OUTCOMES from this course
You will have:
• A research proposal that is ready for the ethics committee
• A Quantitative research design that is correctly done
• Knowledge of the full quantitative research process
• A questionnaire ready to gather data
• A correct sampling design
• Statistical analyses techniques to test the research hypotheses
Advantages of taking this course
• You will be aware of the pitfalls in quantitative research and not make the same errors
• You save time
• You get all the necessary information in one place
• You now know how to conduct quantitative research with a questionnaire as instrument
• You get knowledge from a Statistician with 18 years of consulting experience
CONTENT of the course
2. The Research Process
3. Problem discovery
4. Research design
5. The Research instrument
8. The Research Consistency Matrix
9. Data gathering
10. Data format
Please click on the following link if you want to have more information on the course https://hennie-s-school.thinkific.com/courses/quantitative-research-design
You can create a free account and preview some free lessons if you first want to get a feel of the course before you sign up.
As a special bonus, everyone who signs up for the course before the end of August will receive a 20% discount of the course price if you type in the coupon code: mycouponcode20aug2019
This course is very near and dear to my heart, and I can’t wait for you to sign up. There’s lots to learn, so sign up and I’ll see you on the other side!
This course will help with the design to ensure that it is correctly done.
15 August 2019